Job title: Senior Commissioning Editor, Politics and International Relations
Company: Bloomsbury Publishing Plc
Location: London WC1B 3DP
Is the role permanent?: Yes
Is the role full-time?: Yes
Contact details: [email protected] for enquires only
Closing date: 25 October 2021
SENIOR COMMISSIONING EDITOR – POLITICS AND INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS, ACADEMIC DIVISION
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Commissioning Editor to lead one of the fastest growing lists in Bloomsbury’s award-winning Academic Division. The Bloomsbury Politics and International Relations list brings together the best of the I.B. Tauris and Zed Books lists in global politics and current affairs. Reflecting an increasingly multi-polar world, the list brings together leading and innovative voices from the world of academia and public policy. Key recent titles have included Kehinde Andrews’ Back to Black: Black Radicalism for the 21st Century and How to Lose the Information War by Nina Jankowicz.
Working as part of a supportive and inclusive team, you will assume commercial responsibility and provide strategic direction for this growing list.
- Provides the strategic direction and is commercially responsible for Politics and International Relations within Bloomsbury’s Academic division (incorporating the former I.B. Tauris and Zed Books Politics lists).
- Acts as the Editorial Subject Lead for Digital Resource products, working in collaboration with project teams, including commissioning and coordinating of ongoing editorial content
- Researches new product lines and markets for Books
- Identifies, manages and secures new and existing Book and Digital Resource publishing partnerships
- Ensures that the Politics and International Relations list/s meet key business goals: global growth plans, revenue, budgets, no. of projects, product mix, profit.
- Acts as a spokesperson for the list and the Bloomsbury Academic Division, representing its key values, objectives and policies
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
Commissioning & List Management
- Identifies and pursues lucrative new opportunities (markets, product types, partnerships) within subject areas
- Utilizes market awareness and understanding to inform future publishing strategy for products/lists/portfolios
- Commissions to pre-agreed annual turnover and product line targets
- Commissions and assesses proposals for new projects according to an agreed no. of titles and product mix (reference works, monographs, edited collections, textbooks, supplementary/trade titles, backlist revisions)
- Develops and maintains strong working relationships with authors, volume editors, series editors and third party publishing partners to ensure a high standard of author care throughout the publishing process
- Coordinates peer review and market research so as to progress proposals to approval
- Negotiates contracts with authors and partners
- Manages timetabling of projects under contract
- Liaises with the Production Department to ensure that books are published to budget and schedule
- Liaises with Marketing and Sales Departments for the effective promotion of the list and monitors sales performance.
- Attends academic conferences and represents the company at events as appropriate
- Ensures all metadata relating to frontlist and backlist is accurately managed within the team to a high standard and according to Key Date
- Manages one direct report/s to meet annual business objectives.
- Ensures direct report/s adheres to editorial guidelines, procedures and best practice
- Provides clear direction and SMART (Specific Measurable Achievable Realistic and Time bound) targets for direct reports so as to enable them to meet publishing schedule, key dates and MS handover targets
Coordination & Administration
- Oversees the annual frontlist and keeps titles to schedule, budgeted revenue and profit targets
- Performs annual list budgeting and reforecasting duties to a high standard, keeping slippage well below the 10% tolerance threshold for no. of titles that have slipped out of the fiscal year
- Maintains databases and systems to ensure a high level of accuracy of information
- Manages information systems for collection, retrieval, and use of data for decision-making
The role is a full-time permanent position. The role is based at our London office 50 Bedford Square, London, WC1B 3DP on a hybrid working pattern of 2 days office based / 3 days home based (or fully office based if preferred). Allocated office days for this role are: Wednesday and Thursday
As well as a fantastic opportunity to join a global award-winning organisation, Bloomsbury offers competitive benefits, generous staff discounts and flexible working arrangements.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter addressed to Human Resources (Word or PDF format only) detailing how you meet the requirements outlined above for this role by Monday 25th October, 2021 via the link below
Applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK.