Production Editor / Senior Production Editor
Liverpool University Press
Is the role full-time?
Is the role permanent?
£23,000 plus bonus (Production Editor); £26,000 plus bonus (Senior Production Editor)
Patrick Brereton, Head of Production, [email protected]
Noon on 3 February 2023
Liverpool University Press is seeking an additional Production Editor/Senior Production Editor to join a busy Production team at an award-winning academic publisher.
- Oversee the production of journal issues and books from receipt of unedited content to delivery of final printed and electronic products
- Assess accepted manuscripts before handing material over to the project manager for production (including copyediting, typesetting, proof correction), which is handled off-site
- Liaise with the author(s) and project manager and respond to queries throughout the production process
- Check files prior to sending books to print
- Liaise with printers (including transferring files, checking printer proofs, ensuring quality of printed material, and confirming delivery of printed material to distributors, subscribers, and authors)
- Manage conversion of content to various electronic formats (XML, ebook, etc.), working with third-party suppliers and carrying out QA on digital products
- Work with LUP’s web host to make necessary changes to online content
- Report to colleagues (including the Head of Production and finance team members) on publication schedules
- Maintain agreed schedules and budgets
- Attend editorial and management meetings as required
- Assist the rest of the production team as needed
Qualifications and experience
- Minimum 1 year of experience working in book or journal production at an academic publisher required for Production Editor position
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience preferred, in which instance the candidate will be considered for Senior Production Editor position with greater autonomy
- Proven experience with copyediting and proofreading
- Familiarity with XML a plus
- Outstanding written English
- A degree-level qualification in a relevant field. A postgraduate degree may be advantageous.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Confidence to work unsupervised and to prioritize a complex workload
- Good communications skills, primarily using email but also for face-to-face and online meetings
Salary: £23,000 plus bonus (Production Editor); £26,000 plus bonus (Senior Production Editor)
Benefits include 36 days holiday plus Bank Holidays and excellent pension scheme.
Liverpool University Press offers both hybrid working (2 days in the office, 3 days from home) and flexible start, finish and lunch times to support the work/life balance for staff.
We would welcome the opportunity to discuss the role with people from backgrounds under-represented in the publishing industry.
Please email a CV and covering letter to Patrick Brereton, Head of Production, [email protected]
Closing date: Noon on 3 February 2023
Interviews will be held on Zoom on 13 February 2023.