Job title: Marketing Manager
Location: London / remote working (hybrid)
Is the role permanent? Yes
Is the role full-time? Yes
Salary: £38,000 per annum
Contact: Matt Applewhite, [email protected]
Closing date: 1 February
Nick Hern Books (NHB) – the UK’s leading specialist theatre publisher, home to acclaimed writers such as Mike Bartlett, Jez Butterworth, Caryl Churchill, debbie tucker green, Jack Thorne, Phoebe Waller-Bridge and many more – is seeking a creative and driven Marketing Manager to join our team.
If you have previous marketing experience, are passionate about theatre and are looking to take the next step in your career, this is an exciting opportunity at a dynamic, renowned publishing house which sits at the heart of the UK theatre industry. See more below, and find full details at http://www.nickhernbooks.co.uk/jobs.
About the Role
Working with our Head of Sales and Marketing, and other departments, you’ll play a leading role in connecting readers with our titles – including playscripts by today’s most exciting writers, plus practical books to support creatives in their own work and careers – as well as generating interest and sales across all areas of our activity.
Your responsibilities will include:
- planning and delivering innovative, impactful, multi-channel campaigns for our new publications, including but not limited to: direct and email marketing; administering review copies; writing press releases; pitching for and securing features and interviews; arranging author events; booking advertising; creating digital content; collaborating with external organisations; liaising with and directing agencies and suppliers as required
- driving sales of our titles through our own direct-to-customer website and, in consultation with our Sales Manager, the wider book trade
- coordinating our exhibitor presence at trade fairs and conferences, as well as backlist author events
- ensuring excellent relations with key stakeholders including authors and other partners
- collaborating with our Performing Rights team to help promote our list of 1,200+ plays available for performance
- continuing to develop and strengthen the NHB brand
We’re looking for a proactive, ambitious candidate with proven relevant experience (at any level) in an arts and/or publishing organisation. Given the specialist nature of our publishing, a demonstrable interest in and knowledge of UK contemporary theatre is highly desirable.
You could be a Marketing Officer or Executive with experience on campaigns who now feels ready to step up and run your own, or a Marketing Manager seeking a new challenge and the opportunity to really make your mark.
You’ll also need to be:
- comfortable working across multiple projects simultaneously
- creative and nimble, with a desire to generate new ideas, chase new opportunities and solve problems when they occur
- strategically and commercially minded
- a confident and capable copywriter, with excellent communication skills and an eye for design
- happy working both independently and with others
Experience in creative editing software (e.g. Adobe Photoshop, Premiere Pro, Audacity) would be welcome.
How to Apply
Please send a CV (not more than two pages) and a covering letter about yourself and why you’d be great for this role (not more than one page) by email to Matt Applewhite at [email protected]
Applications must be with us by noon on Wednesday 1 February 2023 at the latest, with interviews conducted during the week commencing 6 February 2023. We will reply to all candidates via email within two weeks of the deadline for applications, regardless of whether you’ve been shortlisted or not.
Access support is available for all applications, including submitting your application in alternative formats. If, for access requirements, you’d prefer to meet one of our team or talk through these guidelines, please contact us.
Nick Hern Books is an equal opportunities employer, and actively encourages applications from groups currently under-represented in the theatre and publishing sectors.
About Nick Hern Books
Nick Hern Books is the UK’s leading specialist theatre publisher.
We’re home to many of the best playwrights working today – including Annie Baker, Mike Bartlett, Howard Brenton, Jez Butterworth, Caryl Churchill, David Edgar, Helen Edmundson, debbie tucker green, Ella Hickson, Branden Jacobs-Jenkins, Arinzé Kene, Lucy Kirkwood, Tony Kushner, Conor McPherson, Rona Munro, Lynn Nottage, Jack Thorne, Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Enda Walsh – as well as essential training and advice books on topics such as acting, writing, directing and producing, to support creatives in their own work and career. We also license most of our plays for amateur performance around the world.
To find out more about us, visit our website at http://www.nickhernbooks.co.uk/.