Assistant Editor – Pre-school
London Bridge, SE1
Is the role permanent?
If the role full time?
Please email your CV, accompanied by not more than 500 words outlining why you think you would be the perfect candidate for this exciting new opportunity to Felicity Culley ([email protected]
). We really look forward to reading your application.
We have an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic, organised and creative Assistant Editor to join Nosy Crow’s pre-school editorial team (novelty, board and illustrated TV Tie-in books) on a full-time basis. You will need some prior editorial experience, which makes this is a great opportunity for any existing Editorial Assistants in a full colour children’s editorial department wishing to progress their career in a fast-growing company with many high profile and award-winning authors, illustrators and brands.
Purpose of the job:
Reporting to the Deputy Head of Pre-School, you will provide support for the novelty department with a varied range of tasks such as general office administration, keeping minutes, updating Biblio, organising mailouts and more. You’ll assist the day-to-day running of the frontlist and backlist by supporting two editors with ad hoc editorial tasks, such as proofreading, writing copy, managing reprints and helping to ensure all titles are accurate and consistent. While the role sits within the novelty team, you will liaise with other key areas of the business including Design, Production, Sales, Marketing, Publicity, Contracts and more.
We are looking for somebody motivated and friendly with a positive, can-do attitude and who is confident managing multiple tasks and tight deadlines. You'll need to be highly efficient, able to work well under pressure and organise yourself effectively. You’ll be proactive and adaptable, and have excellent communication skills to interact with colleagues, authors, illustrators, agents and publishing partners.
Key responsibilities and tasks:
- Providing general administrative and editorial support to the novelty editorial team
- Liaising with other departments in Nosy Crow, working especially closely with Design and Production
- Acting as a key point of contact for authors and illustrators, and providing them with excellent care
- Project managing Americanisation with our American publishing partner, on time and to a high standard
Key skills, characteristics and capabilities:
- Experience in a children’s illustrated book editorial department, ideally in the novelty pre-school area
- Strong organisational and time-management skills, and the ability to multitask and prioritise in a busy and sometimes high-pressure environment
- Excellent copy-editing and proofreading skills
- Confident verbal and written communication skills with a meticulous eye for detail and creative flair
- Initiative and the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Understanding and knowledge of how novelty books work, including mechanisms with moving parts, flaps and die-cuts
- A fast learner of in-house database systems, such as Biblio
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- InDesign knowledge would be of benefit
The successful candidate will have the right to live and work in the UK.
Nosy Crow is a Disability Confident, committed, equal opportunities employer. We believe that employing a diverse workforce is an important factor in success and make recruiting decisions based on applicants’ experience and skills. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
The Nosy Crow salary for people entering publishing at an entry level position exceeds London Living Wage. For all jobs, including this one, salaries are dependent on skills and experience.
The role will be based in our London office, near London Bridge. We are currently asking people to work at least 3 days in-house with the option of homeworking up to 2 days per week.