Assistant Commissioning Editor
Globe Law and Business
Is the role permanent?
Is the role full-time?
To apply, please email your CV and a covering letter highlighting your relevant experience to [email protected]
31 January 2023
An exciting opportunity with an independent professional publisher
Globe Law and Business is a successful, independent publisher of digital content, books and journals for the international legal community.
We are a home-based company with a friendly and welcoming team and supportive environment. We value our team spirit, collaborative ways of working and fresh new ideas.
Our new Assistant Commissioning Editor will have some prior experience in publishing and will be keen to develop their commissioning skills and contribute to a growing publishing programme.
Reporting to our Managing Director, the successful applicant should be based in London or the South-East in order to attend regular meetings in London.
This is an interesting and varied job. Here’s a flavour of what’s involved, and what would be useful to equip you for the role.
What the job involves:
- Researching new projects and potential topics for publication
- Commissioning leading authors on identified areas for publication and developing publishing proposals for internal discussion and presentation
- Managing the end-to-end process of commissioning including helping to track manuscripts from submission through to publication
- Providing administrative support leading up to publication, including issuing contracts to authors and contributors
- Developing long-term relationships with authors and other stakeholders including publishing partners
- Assisting with editorial in certain tasks such as reviewing manuscripts and proof-checking
- Supporting the marketing effort including liaising with authors on marketing opportunities, checking marketing copy and occasionally attending events.
What we’re looking for:
Above all, you will need excellent organisational and relationship-building skills, with the ability to work effectively with authors and colleagues. You will also need an interest in business, and the drive to develop successful and profitable commercial projects, under supervision at first, but more independently as your career with us develops. Job-specific skills include:
- Evidence of strong written and spoken English
- Very strong organisational skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- The ability to work as part of a team with good communication skills
- Facility to spot new trends in the legal arena
- Confidence when working with senior-level authors and other partners
- Self-motivation and the ability to work to deadlines and budgets
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- A high degree of commercial acumen (if the basics are there, we can help you develop this)
- Familiarity with Office365, especially Microsoft Word and Excel
What we offer
- An attractive salary and range of additional benefits
- Flexible, home-based working arrangements
- A supportive, friendly culture in a dynamic, growing business
- Excellent opportunities for career progression